Tzdekah at TBS
This is an eventful year for Temple Beth Sholom’s Social Action (community outreach) program. Listed below are some of the Tzdekah projects we’re involved with:
- The Kosher Food Pantry The Pantry feeds 155 families most of whom are house-bound and are in financial distress. This year we’re committed to monthly collections of Pasta and Vegetarian Beans. Please put your donations in the container in the Temple lobby. One Sunday a month, a volunteer will bring them to the pantry in Waltham. We are in need of drivers for May, June, and July. If you can help, call temple 508 877-2540 x 209 (Social Action).
- Passover Second collection of non-perishable, both Pesach and Non-Pascal foods for “A Place to Turn.”
- Rosh Hashanah – Yom Kippur – The Fast of Isaac (September) Food collection for a “A Place to Turn” shelter in Natick.
- Coats of Many Colors (November- December) Collection of warm, clean winter outerwear for the shelter. (11th consecutive year)
- National Guard Support (December) Collection of gift cards and certificates for local National Guardsmen and their families.
- Kol Isha “A Woman’s Voice” (On-going) Collection of cell phones for victims of domestic violence.
ISRAEL ACTION COMMITTEE
Israel 21c / Hear and Now
Formed in the Fall of 2006, the Israel Action Committee will be an exclusive news dispenser, educator, and pro-Israel activist group.
This website, “Hear and Now,” features a scrolling headline “ticker” (above) with up-to the-minute links to news and information about Israel from various news sources around the world. You may customize the news ticker to display headlines on specific topics by entering a keyword into the “Filter Headlines” search box (e.g. to find out what’s happening in Gaza, enter “gaza” in the filter search box.)
Check the Links tab for links to your favorite organizations. Just added: Streaming video Jerusalem TV in English. A must for on-going Israel news!
Of special importance is Israel21c, featuring the reality of Israel beyond the conflict. While we all support Israel in her struggle for existence, little media attention is brought to the value she has brought to the world since statehood in 1947. Our daily lives are impacted by the cell phone, text messaging, even a pill with a camera that when swallowed can aid in medical GI examinations, and on-and-on. All this technology has been developed in Israel. This is an Israel to be proud of. Israel is a nation in the forefront of technology and medicine. Nearly all global companies maintain creative facilities in Israel. Please check out the Israel21c website. You will be amazed at what you will learn. Spread the Word, this is “Israelity.” Israel of the 21st century.
We are very pleased to perform this service and hope you will use this site often. Your feedback and comments will be appreciated.